Archive Category GHF in the News

So You Want to Fly Drones for Conservation?

In the recent past, drones have exploded into the public eye. A subject of constant controversy, they summon debates about personal privacy, the dynamics of political conflict, and the dangers of the power they confer on the individuals who control them. But how about the ways drones can creatively contribute to society? Read…

See full post

Lonely Planet co-founder: ‘The first book was an accident’

Tony and Maureen Wheeler co-founded Lonely Planet in 1973 after the couple travelled overland from London to Australia. The travel publisher, which has since printed more than 120 million books in 11 languages, sold a 75% stake in the business to BBC Worldwide in 2007. The Wheelers sold their remaining 25% stake in…

See full post

VIDEO: The Role of NGOs in Cultural Heritage Conservation

Heritage preservation has long been associated with the conservation of grand monuments driven by the state, but Kuanghan Li, director of Global Heritage Fund’s China Program, explains to Asia Society that NGOs could play the role of instigator and facilitator in heritage preservation projects. Read more…

See full post

Tourism Traps Ethnic Minority in Tradition

Each morning, a rhythmic banging wakes the residents of Zhaoxing. With broad, wooden hammers, women are breaking up particles of indigo dye in long stretches of fabric, releasing a deep purple sheen that is a quintessential characteristic of the traditional garments worn by the Dong, the ethnic minority they belong to. Read more…

See full post
   Older Entries